Each and every summer night needs to be savored while they last. Whether it’s to get back in the pool, go for an evening walk, or just hang with friends; the Sizzling Summer Series is here with a quick and delicious dish. Shishito and Shrimp Skewers with Chimichurri takes only 20-30 minutes but is packed with flavor from the zesty chimichurri to the spicy shishito peppers.
Begin preparing the chimichurri by using a food processor to finely chop and combine the parsley, cilantro, basil, garlic, lemon rind, juice, crushed red pepper, oil, and salt. The tart citrus combines the aromatics of the herbs into a tangy sauce for the shrimp with a touch of heat from the crushed red pepper. The shrimp is tossed with a quarter of the chimichurri sauce and threaded onto skewers. The peppers are also threaded onto skewers, drizzled with olive oil, and sprinkled with salt and pepper. Grill all skewers over medium-high heat for a couple minutes per side and then brush with remaining sauce. All of this wonderful flavor in only 20-30 minutes makes for a memorable summer night with the Sizzling Summer Series.
Shishito and Shrimp Skewers with Chimichurri Ingredients
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp (about 24), peeled and deveined (tails on)
- 16 (2-in.) shishito peppers (about 3 oz.)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
Shishito and Shrimp Skewers with Chimichurri Directions
- Preheat grill to medium-high (about 450°F).
- Process parsley, cilantro, basil, and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Add lemon rind, juice, crushed red pepper, 3 tablespoons oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; process until finely chopped and well combined.
- Toss together shrimp and 1/4 cup herb mixture. Thread 4 shrimp onto each of 6 (8-inch) skewers; thread 8 peppers onto each of 2 (8-inch) skewers. Drizzle skewers with remaining 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with black pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Place skewers on grill grates coated with cooking spray; grill just until shrimp are done and peppers are charred, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Brush skewers with remaining herb mixture before serving.
Taken from CookingLight.com