Roasting a whole bird during the fall is as traditional as pumpkin pie, but it doesn’t always turn out as well as we would like. The Autumn Grill Series is here to the rescue with Zesty Mustard Chicken, a delicious preparation using a smaller broiler or fryer chicken basted with a stimulating mustard and honey sauce. Finishing tangy and sweet, this simple recipe brings incredible flavor to the poor bird.
Begin with a broiler or fryer chicken, which is a young chicken, typically six to eight weeks old, weighing between 2½ to 3½ pounds. The sauce is a simple combination of prepared mustard, honey, salt-free seasoning, or your favorite seasoning, and Worcestershire sauce. The key is to grill over indirect medium heat so the bird doesn’t burn too quickly. Roast on the grill for 20 minutes and then flip and roast for another 20-30 minutes basting occasionally with the mustard sauce. When done, divide into serving sizes and serve with remaining mustard sauce. For even better results, use a rotisserie to roast one or two whole chickens. With beautiful texture and color, the grilled bird can be a triumph every time with the Autumn Grill Series.
Zesty Mustard Chicken Ingredients
- 1/2 cup prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut in half
Zesty Mustard Chicken Directions
- In a bowl, combine the first four ingredients and mix well.
- Carefully loosen the skin of the chicken; spoon some of the mustard sauce under the skin.
- Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray before starting the grill. Place chicken skin side up on grill rack. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Turn; grill 20-30 minutes longer or until juices run clear, basting occasionally with remaining mustard sauce.
- Remove chicken skin; cut into serving-size pieces.
Taken from RD.com