A new year means it’s Super Bowl time again, and the Super Bowl Grilling Series from Summerset is here to help you get your game day menu ready and prepped with choice grilled party foods and entrees. This week we have Turkey-Chorizo Burgers with Guacamole, featuring fresh Mexican-style sausage mixed with ground turkey for a more flavorful and juicer turkey burger. Round it out with freshly made guacamole, and these burgers are great for feasting with one hand and cheering with the other.
Begin by removing casings from chorizo, breaking it into small pieces, and mixing it thoroughly with the ground turkey and salt. Form patties and grill over medium heat for about ten minutes, turning once. The guacamole is a smooth combination of fresh avocado, vinegar, cumin, hot sauce, and salt. Assemble burgers on toasted rolls layering the guacamole, turkey-chorizo patty, and tomato slice for a beautiful burger that tastes even better than it looks. In football, preparation is key, and the Super Bowl Grilling Series is here to get your spread ready for kickoff.
Turkey-Chorizo Burgers with Guacamole Ingredients
- 1/2 lb. fresh pork chorizo, casings removed
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- Kosher salt
- Olive oil, for the grill
- 1 medium ripe avocado, seeded and peeled
- 2 tsp. cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 or 3 dashes hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
- 4 rolls, split and toasted
- 1 medium ripe tomato, sliced
Turkey-Chorizo Burgers with Guacamole Directions
- Prepare a medium (375°F) gas or charcoal grill fire.
- Over a large bowl, break up the chorizo into small pieces. Add the turkey and 1/2 tsp. salt and mix well with your hands. Form into four 1/2-inch-thick patties. Press the center of each patty with 3 fingers to make an indentation to help it keep its shape during cooking.
- Oil the grill grates and grill the burgers, covered, turning once until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of a burger registers 165°F, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mash the avocado, vinegar, cumin, hot sauce, and 1/2 tsp. salt until fairly smooth.
- Spread the guacamole over the bottom of each roll, top with a burger, tomato slices, and the top of the roll and serve.
Taken from FineCooking.com