Autumn is all about spending evenings huddled around a fire pit listening to the crackling leaves sway and fall in the breeze and sipping a warm drink. It is not about spending hours in the kitchen preparing a complicated meal while missing out on the joys of the season. The Autumn Grill Series continues with Grilled Fish with Orange-Fennel Salsa, a super simple dish requiring just minutes of prep and grilling to keep you where you want to be. Featuring seared rockfish and an aromatic citrusy orange and Fennel salsa, what this dish saves in time is spent on gorgeous flavor.
Begin preparing the salsa by combing olive oil, white wine vinegar, soy sauce, cilantro, fresh ginger, sugar, peeled orange segments, fennel strips, onion slices, salt, and pepper. Salty from the soy, sweet from the sugar, earthy from the ginger and fennel, and orange citrus make this salsa a sensory explosion. Coat the rockfish filets in an oil mixture of olive oil, soy sauce, salt, and pepper, and then grill over medium-high heat for just a few minutes per side until they turn opaque in the center. Serve the filet topped with salsa for a truly delightful meal on a beautiful evening, all the while being able to take in this very special time of year with the Autumn Grill Series.
Grilled Fish with Orange-Fennel Salsa Ingredients
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 oranges
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed, cut into matchstick-size strips
- ½ medium-size red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 4 (6- to 8-ounce) rockfish or sea bass fillets
Grilled Fish with Orange-Fennel Salsa Directions
- Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, cilantro, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, ginger and sugar in a medium bowl. Cut peel and white pith from oranges; discard. Holding oranges over a bowl to catch juices, cut between membranes to release segments into bowl. Add fennel and onion; toss gently. Season with salt and pepper. Chill until ready to use.
- Prepare grill for medium-high heat.
- Mix 3 tablespoons oil, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and garlic in glass pie dish. Turn fish in oil mixture to coat. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper.
- Grill until just opaque in center, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to plates. Spoon salsa over.
Taken from CheatSheet.com