The first day of fall comes and just like clockwork, the temperature drops and the wind gets a little brisker. It’s a beautiful time of year and the Autumn Grill Series is here to bring the flavors of the season to your grill with Grilled Chicken with Nectarine, Red Onion, and Basil Relish. Featuring a fruity and sweet homemade relish with large pieces of the nectarine and onion, the simply seasoned and grilled chicken is a great compliment to the zesty relish.
Begin by slicing the fruit and onion into thin wedges and strips, and then combine with white wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper to form the relish. Set aside to allow everything to break down and combine, then prepare the chicken for the grill with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Grill the chicken breasts over medium-high heat until done and beautifully charred. Allow the chicken to rest, then cover with relish, and serve. The chicken, already moist and mesquite flavored, becomes a tasty carrier for the sweetness of the fruit and onions. The chopped basil adds attractive aromatics and freshness to each bite, making it a wonderful meal for a stunning autumn evening.
Grilled Chicken with Nectarine, Red Onion, and Basil Relish Ingredients
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 ripe nectarines or peaches, sliced into thin wedges
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 c. chopped fresh basil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Grilled Chicken with Nectarine, Red Onion, and Basil Relish Directions
- Heat grill to medium-high. Clean the grill and lightly oil. In a medium bowl, whisk together the white wine vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add the nectarines and red onion and toss to combine; set aside.
- Rub the chicken with the remaining 2 teaspoon oil, season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and grill until cooked through or an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers 165 degrees F, 4 to 6 minutes per side.
- Fold the basil into the nectarine mixture and spoon over the chicken.