Grilling in February can be a chilly endeavor in many parts of the country, but there’s nothing quite like hot food straight from the grill on a cold evening. The Winter Grilling Series from Summerset brings terrific recipes to your grill for a cold winter’s night. Next up is Gorgonzola Lamb Burgers with Pickled Cherry Relish, featuring a unique flavor combination of lean lamb, pungent and salty gorgonzola, and sweet and tart pickled cherries.
Begin by preparing the relish, which calls for pickled cherries that can be made by soaking overnight or longer in vinegar. Pulse together pickled cherries, cherry tomatoes, parsley, roasted pistachios, salt, and pepper until just chopped for a beautiful texture. Make the lamb patties by combining ground lamb, crumbled Gorgonzola, shallots, garlic, balsamic vinegar, and spices, and then separate into fourths. Grill on well-oiled grates over medium heat for 3-4 minutes per side until done. Butter the split buns and toast on the grill, and then assemble burger with relish and arugula for a splendid flavor burst of salty, sweet, peppery, and tart with each bite. Enjoy this hot burger and never be shy to conquer the cold with the Winter Grilling Series.
Gorgonzola Lamb Burgers with Pickled Cherry Relish Ingredients
- 1/2 cup pickled cherries (about 20), pitted
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons shelled pistachios (roasted and unsalted if you can find them)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 pound ground lamb
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil, for cooking
- 4 large or 6 slider-size burger buns
- handful fresh arugula
- greek yogurt (optional)
Gorgonzola Lamb Burgers with Pickled Cherry Relish Directions
- For relish, combine cherries, tomatoes, parsley, and pistachios in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 2-3 times or until relish is chopped (not puréed) and ingredients are evenly incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To prepare burgers, combine lamb, Gorgonzola, shallot, garlic, vinegar, oregano, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper in a large bowl, using your hands to gently mix as necessary. Divide meat mixture into fourths, sixths if you will be making smaller, slider-sized burgers. Form into patties slightly larger than the diameter of your buns (as they will shrink when cooked), and arrange on a lightly oiled plate or baking sheet.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. When hot, brush grates with a thin coating of olive oil, add burgers and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side (2 to 3 for sliders) or until meat reaches desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, split buns and lightly spread the insides with butter. Toast in a toaster oven or broiler until light golden brown. Arrange on serving
Taken from LoveAndOliveOil.com