The biggest date night of the year is just a few days away, and the Valentine’s Day Grilling Series is here to keep you out of the busy restaurants with a lovely meal for two. Flattened Chicken and Grilled Romaine with Parsley-Lemon Sauce features a beautifully grilled whole chicken with refreshing citrus and herbal flavors that leave you energized for your romantic rendezvous. Valentine’s Day is about the two of you; not the overpriced, heavy restaurant meal that leaves you tired and apathetic.
Begin preparing the chicken by flattening it using kitchen shears to cut away the backbone, spreading chopped garlic under the skin, and seasoning with salt and pepper. Grill over medium-high direct heat breast side down for 5-7 minutes, and then flip and grill over indirect heat for 35 minutes, or until done. While the chicken is grilling, mix together Parmesan, parsley, hazelnuts, lemon zest and juice, oil, salt, and pepper to make the light and cool parsley-lemon sauce. Brush the romaine hearts with oil and grill over direct heat for a couple minutes until beautifully charred and aromatic. Serve chicken and romaine with the parsley-lemon sauce for a truly delightful engagement with your loved one. Nothing communicates love and affection as preparing elegant food and making her feel cherished.
Flattened Chicken and Grilled Romaine with Parsley-Lemon Sauce Ingredients
- 1 (2½ – 3lb) chicken, backbone removed and chicken flattened
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 oz. Parmesan, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 c. toasted hazelnuts or almonds, chopped
- 1 tsp. lemon zest, plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 romaine hearts, halved lengthwise
Flattened Chicken and Grilled Romaine with Parsley-Lemon Sauce Directions
- Preheat grill to medium-high set up for direct and indirect grilling.
- Loosen skin of the chicken and spread garlic underneath. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill over direct heat, breast-side down, covered, until golden brown and charred, 5 to 7 minutes. Flip and grill over indirect heat, covered, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165 degrees F, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine Parmesan, parsley, hazelnuts, lemon zest and juice, and 3 tablespoons oil in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush romaine with remaining tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill, over direct heat, turning once, until charred and wilted, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Serve the chicken and romaine topped with the parsley-lemon sauce.