As Father’s Day approaches, so does the quandary of where to eat. Summerset invites you to dream beyond the restaurants and aspire to more than the boring frozen patties that frequent summer grills. Elevate the day with Baby-Back Ribs with Texas Blackjack Sauce and Peach Coleslaw featuring a rather simple preparation that dad will think took you hours and hours. The sauce uses your favorite sauce as a base and adds a deep richness of flavor by incorporating coffee and brown sugar. The peach coleslaw is refreshing and spicy, perfectly complementing the crunchy sweetness of the rib exterior.
This recipe calls for tenderizing and cooking the ribs by simmering in water for 45 minutes before charring and caramelizing on the grill. The Sweet and bold Texas Blackjack Sauce is a mixture of barbecue sauce, brown sugar, instant coffee, and Worcestershire sauce heated over medium heat until dissolved and mixed. The peach coleslaw is a simple combination of coleslaw dressing and mix, Dijon mustard, sliced peaches, and crushed red pepper. Finish the ribs on the grill, basting throughout, allowing the sugars to caramelize for a mouthwatering taste and delightful texture. Fathers truly are a treasure, so don’t settle for ordinary on this special day, and besides, you get to partake and enjoy as well…
Baby-Back Ribs with Texas Blackjack Sauce and Peach Coleslaw Ingredients
- 3 lb. baby-back ribs
- 1 bottle barbecue sauce (1 1⁄2 cups; we used Cattleman’s Classic)
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. instant coffee
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 c. slaw dressing
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 4 c. coleslaw mix
- 2 ripe medium peaches
- 1/2 c. chopped red pepper
Baby-Back Ribs with Texas Blackjack Sauce and Peach Coleslaw Directions
- Make Ribs: Put ribs in a large pot with just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes, or until meat is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, mix barbecue sauce, sugar, coffee and Worcestershire sauce in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring until sugar and coffee dissolve. Remove from heat.
- Make Coleslaw: Stir dressing and mustard in a large bowl; add coleslaw mix, peaches, and red pepper; toss to mix. Refrigerate until serving.
- Coat outdoor grill rack with nonstick spray. Heat grill. Place ribs, rounded side down, on the rack. Brush with sauce; grill 3 minutes. Turn ribs; brush with sauce; grill 6 minutes more. Turn ribs again; brush with sauce; grill another 3 minutes.
- Serve with the rest of the sauce and coleslaw. Can be prepared through Step 2 one day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.